Estimated Date: 1970s
No. in Series: 311-20
Era: Chrome Era
The Ohio legislature authorized the creation of the Ohio Turnpike Commission in 1949 and issued $326 million in tax revenue bonds. The construction of the Turnpike was the largest construction project in Ohio’s history at the time.
Starting in 1952, the project employed 10,000 workers at its peak. It only took 38 months to complete the 241-mile highway. Opening day traffic on Oct. 1, 1955, totaled 44,000 vehicles and, in the first full year of operation, totaled around 10 million vehicles.
The description on the back of the card:
As seen from the air near the Eastgate Terminal showing Mahoning Valley Service Plaza and the Glacier Hills Plaza in the foreground. This remarkable twin highway extends across the beautiful State of Ohio, and is joined at its borders by Pennsylvania Turnpike and the Indiana Toll Road.
Wonday Film Service, Inc., Wilkinsburg, Pa.
Made by DEXTER, West Nyack, N.Y.
Thomas A. Dexter was the inventor of gang printing. His company printed a wide variety of postcard subjects as linens and photochromes in New York from 1934-1980. The company merged with Mid-Westen Map Company (MWM Color Press) in 1980 to become MWM Dexter, and they moved to Aurora, Missouri.
Read more about Dexter Press and MWM Dexter
Rights Info: Most likely public domain due to inadequate copyright statements, but it would be best to credit the original publishers and distributors.