Originally known as the Wittemann Brothers in 1887, the Albertype Company was founded by brothers Adolph and Herman L. Wittemann in 1890 in Brooklyn, New York, and used albertype, also known as collotype, to reproduce images for postcards, pioneer cards, and viewbooks. The company produced over 25,000 collotypes before it closed in 1952 when they were purchased by Art Vue Post Card Company.
Since 1867, the Wittemann brothers had worked as publishers and printers. According to MetroPostcard.com, “Herman ran the firm while Adolph acted as an agent, both finding customers for their services and taking photographs to be made into cards. Eventually, they printed images by many photographers both in house and out.”
Their name appeared within the stamp box on their early cards. When they started printing divided back postcards the company created a line down the back of their cards with the words “Post Cards of Quality” and later with “The Finest American Made View Post Cards.”
Source: Metro Postcard