The description on the front of the card:
Carnegie Public Library, Conneaut, Ohio
The Conneaut library started as the “Peoples Free Library Association” that was dedicated to the advancement of learning through borrowing free reading materials. After a library tax levy was passed in 1905 and money was raised, the library’s board of trustees purchased land from a Mrs. G.H. Sheppard on the corner of Buffalo and State streets for $4,000 (almost $104,000 in 2016). Two years later, steel magnate Andrew Carnegie donated $25,000 (over $648,000 in 2016) for the construction of the library.
The library opened on May 3, 1909, with 12,000 volumes. The public library was moved to a $2.3 million building that opened in May 1998. In 2015, the owner of the original library was fined for fire code violations and the building remains vacant.
Postmark Date: August 30, 1924
Era: White Border Era
Publisher: Whitmore & Pontius, Conneaut, Ohio
Rights Info: Public Domain
1. Conneaut Public Library
2. Todd, Mark. “Owner of Carnegie Library found guilty of building violation.” Star Beacon. 29 September 2015. Online. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
The front image has been desaturated for this blog.